New Water Service (Tap) Connection

If you are a new customer, we are happy to answer questions about how to get started. Please call (970) 532-2096 during office hours, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

The Commitment Letter Request for Residential and Non-Residential should be submitted whenever a more technical investigation is necessary to determine if water service is available.

All requests for service are reviewed and approved by the District Engineer.

Providing sufficient units of Colorado Big-Thompson (C-BT) water rights, Home Supply or Handy shares, paying tap fees and completing required infrastructure improvements are the responsibility of the builder or developer.

For more information about tap fees and water rights, assistance in applying for a new tap and payment of tap fees, please contact our office at (970) 532-2096.